Thursday, August 28, 2008

Where Our Wild Things Are

There are negatives to living in a rural area with no fences: kids can stray out of the yard and stray animals can come into the yard. On the other hand, a large wooded lot is paradise for two active boys.

We had to have a tree cut down since the original homeowners decided to plant it right on top of our septic tank. This made for a very healthy tree and a not-so-healthy septic system!


The resultant stump has made for hours of fun, and the wood chips are ever so much better than the sand in a sand box!


Picking blackberries keeps Matthew entertained for hours, and he already knows how to tell a blackberry from the other, non-edible berries in our woods (though I don't trust him in this knowledge yet and watch every berry-picking endeavor).





Despite all the fancy toys we buy, our kids seem to revel in the ones that God has provided free of charge. Pinecones, leaves, acorns, frogs, and dirt piles created by moles. My husband doesn't appreciate the moles, but Matt sure does!




I have to admit I'm a little sad that summer appears to be coming to a close. The signs are there in the blooming goldenrod and single red leaves falling from our maple trees.



I am sure we will have just as much fun in the fall with leaf piles, pumpkins, and loaded crabapple trees!

2 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Leah,

That all sounds delightful... if we weren't across the country I'd be on your doorstep with a picnic lunch and a soccer ball!

The boys look as happy as can be,

Julie

leah said...

Sometimes I miss living in California with the mountains, deserts, and the sea. Then I watch my boys playing along the woodland edge, finding blackberries, and spying on the deer and turkey that make regular visits to our backyard. Every place has its wonders, and I have a feeling my boys will grow up loving the woods as much as I loved the desert and beach areas of my youth!

And Matt would go NUTS to have other boys to play with (especially "big" boys- he loves following them around)!