Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Project Dome


I receive a parenting magazine with great craft ideas for kids. In the most recent issue, they had a geodesic dome made out of newspaper, tape, and staples. It sounded right up my alley- three ingredients, simple directions, and the kids get what was billed as a "surprisingly sturdy structure."

The first part of the plan went off without a hitch. Gather newspapers, unfold and stack them four pages thick, and roll each 4 page section diagonally into a roll. Secure with tape, then staple them together to form triangles.






The triangles are then attached to each other, so a ring can be formed. This is where the plan starts to come apart (in the most literal of senses). I am not sure what size staples Family Fun Magazine used, but I'm starting to think they really used a nail gun to get through so many layers of newspaper!



The "surprisingly sturdy" structure was falling apart in my hands. Dennis had a brilliant idea and ran for the staple gun, pliers, and a piece of plywood. He started securing a few triangles together. This, unfortunately, did not work all that well. Unless sharp objects skewering children was the original intent of the craft's creators.


Since I had packing tape at hand, I decided to secure the triangles together with packing tape. Unfortunately, packing tape does not have the appropriate flexibility and strength for this type of project. So I rummaged in the old toolbox, and stumbled across duct tape.

Of course! I don't know why I hadn't simply started with that in the first place. It took nearly an entire roll of duct tape, but we now have a "surprisingly sturdy" structure to play in.

The real materials list should read:

Newspaper
Tape
More tape
Even more tape
Possibly, rebar and a welding torch

Despite the difficulty in assembling a dome out of newspaper, the boys now have a fun little playhouse and really enjoy it.





No comments: