Wednesday, December 8, 2010

No Such Thing as a Short Story


We are running a tad low on Christmas books for our advent tradition. I included some very short board books in the pile, including a beautiful picture book with the words to The Little Drummer Boy. I read (sung) the story, then we talked about the meaning of the story.

"Look, Matt. He is a very poor boy and he has nothing to give to the baby Jesus. He can play his drum for the baby, though, even though he has nothing."

Matt, ever the cynic, said,

"Why doesn't he have any money? He shouldn't have spent it all on that drum!"

I suggested that perhaps someone gave him the drum.

"Well, then he should sell it. Or play it as a job and earn some money. Then he wouldn't be poor!"

At that thought, Matt shook his head, disgusted with The Little Drummer Boy.

It's hard to instill the magic of the holiday season with such a tiny skeptic in the house!

3 comments:

Jan said...

My, My, My, what a little Capitalist, I do believe that they are born, not made. What a great little thinker. Give a man a fish...

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Smart kid, and you've gotta love the work ethic there!

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

What a cute story! Cute because I'm not the one getting a rough time over a kid with a drum.

Just tonight we were discussing whether the little drummer boy is in the bible. I should google that for future reference.

I loved that song as a kid by the way. When it came on my parents and sister used to say, "rum pa pum pum Jo!" That was my favorite part!