Friday, January 11, 2013

Peppermint Marshmallows


I saw a recipe on Pinterest for peppermint marshmallows. I'm not good at making candy, but I thought I'd give it a try. As it turns out, marshmallows are a fairly easy recipe to make!

The original recipe is here, from Betty Crocker. A stand mixer helps with the process - I put the gelatin and cold water in the mixer while I made the syrup. Once the candy thermometer (finally) registered 240 degrees Fahrenheit, I poured the syrup into the gelatin as the mixer was stirring. The marshmallow fluff formed very quickly. I added the peppermint extract, poured it into a buttered dish, and added some red food coloring (swirling with a butter knife).


Once the marshmallows were set, I cut them into cubes and dusted them with powdered sugar. They look like little, fluffy candy canes and are excellent in hot cocoa.


I'm definitely adding this recipe to our annual Christmas bake-a-thon!

No comments: