Friday, August 21, 2009

Another Summer Project I Finish Halfway


We have this really ugly well in our yard. It is in a very conspicuous place, by the front walkway. It is also big enough to swallow your average elephant, which gives me constant heart palpitations. My children think it is a great platform from which to launch their jumps. I am really, truly, terrified of this well.



It isn't used anymore- we hooked up to city water when the opportunity presented itself. Note to the City of Jamestown: we'd love a sewer line up this way, too, if you ever feel so inclined as to give us one.

The boys and I dug out the weeds and disposed of them- me being the one doing the digging, of course, and the boys doing the disposing. Not everyone has a garden tool selection that includes Tonka.




Then we went to Home Depot. We bought a container to stick on top of the well, and dirt. Since the well protrudes from the ground, I knew I'd need to create a slight mound to cover it. I got home and dumped out the three bags of dirt.

Clearly, I'd miscalculated how much dirt I would need to cover the stupid well. OK, I didn't calculate at all. That's not my style. I'm much more of a "go to the hardware store and guess what I might need" type of a person. Just ask Dennis about the time I decided to paint the family room. Actually, scratch that idea. Don't ever ask him about the time I decided to paint the family room- I think he's still a tad annoyed about that disaster project.

Anyhow, I returned to Home Depot for the second trip (everyone knows it takes at least three trips to the hardware store to accomplish any project). I bought five more bags of topsoil and more potting soil. I also bought two echinacea plants, because they looked pretty.

I got home and dumped out all the dirt, digging up more turf where the dirt needed to go. After much sweating, digging, hauling heavy loads of dirt, and planting, I decided I was done. The mound is quite high and small, so we will definitely need more dirt. Also, we will need more plants. And a lot more digging and sweating.




Then we came inside and collapsed with our glasses filled with Crystal Lite or fruit juice, and turned on Little Bill. Because cartoons and a cup of fruit juice are just peachy after a few hours of hard labor.

I think he might need a bath tonight...

Perhaps Dennis will come home, shake his head, and take pity on me, finishing the hard labor portion of this project. There is always hope!

No comments: