Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I Blame The Weather Man

We were heading up to Buffalo for a routine hearing test, so I checked the weather forecast. It was supposed to be in the high 70's, and I did a dance for joy- we could go to the zoo after the hearing test. Even better, we could wear shorts!

At 10:00am, the parking lot of Buffalo Hearing and Speech Center was 55 degrees. I'm pretty sure the blowing wind was close to 35 degrees. Considering I had not brought warmer clothing along for the trip, this was not a good sign.

The lack of forethought to bring jackets and jeans could be attributed to poor mothering skills, but I far prefer to blame the weather man. Obviously, the forecast was a wee bit "off." Hey, at least I remembered sunscreen!

The kids were definitely pro zoo trip, so we braved the icy wind and drove to Delaware Park. There are parking options at the Buffalo Zoo- you can pay to park in the zoo lot, or you can park for free just around the corner. Because I'm cheap frugal, you can guess where we parked. At least the walk prevented hypothermia!

We're Erie Zoo members, and the Buffalo Zoo used to be free as part of the reciprocating zoo membership program. Alas, this is no longer true. I might have saved on parking, but I had to fork over entrance fees.

We headed to the rain forest exhibit, where it is always a balmy 80 degrees. We visited every indoor attraction available, and by the time we were done, the temperature did reach the mid 70's outside.

The boys played on the new playground, we watched the sea lions, and the boys played "vet" in the learning room. It was a good, if not entirely warm, day!

Matt on the playground

Playing vet

Sea lions rock Nolan's world


Matt, trying to "race" the sea lion

1 comment:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'm giggling with you... oh how I've loved the rainforest exhibit - even the reptile house - on cold days!

Looks like lots of fun :D

Julie