Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Warm Winter

We are having a ridiculously warm winter. Sure, there is snow. Snow is normal. Rain, on the other hand, is not typical January weather for Western New York. The rain has been falling off and on throughout the month, which is just plain weird.

Of course, when it snows, we take advantage of the white stuff and head over to the local school's sledding hill.






The best thing about the boys' ages is that we can all sled together. Last year, an adult had to trail Nolan to help him up the hill, and to make sure he didn't spin out of control when he was going down the hill. This year, he's big enough to handle his own sled and the walk back up the hill.

Dad takes a turn on the mini luge

I have decided, however, that some activities should be left to the kids. I tried out Matt's new snow scooter on the hill, and had a sore hip for an entire week after falling!

I think I am too old for this... 

I think I broke my hip! 

Sadly, the day after this gorgeous, sunny sledding day, the rain returned. Followed by snow, then rain, then ice pellets. We haven't seen the sun in about two weeks, and there isn't any snow on the ground to brighten things up. I'm grateful for the clear roads, but the gray landscape could definitely use some brightening!


3 comments:

Rena said...

it has been a weird winter around here too. In my part of NorCal, snow is a rare treat, but we get lots of rain and ice. Not this year. The trees are already starting to bud, and it's only Jan! Yesterday, I found a small beetle in my kitchen, one that shouldn't be moving this early in the year. I guess we're skipping Winter and moving into Spring.

I love the pics of your boys playing in the snow. Looks like you guys had a blast.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, sorry about your hip, but good for you for playing too!

Julie

dlefler said...

Winter is really fun here, when the weather cooperates and we get a day without wind or ice! I love the sunny, mild (in the 20's) days for sledding!