Sunday, December 23, 2012

Science Project with the Kids


I decided to make a volcano with the boys the other day. A little salt dough, baking soda, and vinegar was the "hit of the party," so to speak. I made a video of the project for my Hubpages account, and the boys had a great time playing with the erupting foam for several hours.

Want a how-to, if you're not familiar with salt dough or baking soda/vinegar reactions? A video is here:


I'm pretty sure the boys have no concept of double replacement reactions and decomposition reactions, but they did enjoy watching the foam form, and we talked about chemical reactions - they could see the solid baking soda and the liquid vinegar were reacting and creating a gas (carbon dioxide).

Both boys are extremely "into" science these days - though I'm pretty sure all kids are fascinated by science. Volcanoes, space, and aerodynamics have been major topics of discussion of late!

No comments: