Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Impromptu Education

I was cleaning out our nesting box (woefully late) and Matt became quite interested in what I was doing. I told him it was a nest, and he became worried that I was going to hurt some eggs. I told him it was last year's nest and the eggs had hatched and the baby birds had long since flown away.

Photobucket

He was fascinated with all the sticks, and I told him it was a house wren's nest and she gathered her sticks from the pine tree line next to our house. He proceeded to take the old nest apart and inspect the different sticks used in making the nest.

He then decided he should return the sticks to the wooded area, just in case the bird needed them to make another nest in the future. Mighty considerate of him! Hopefully we'll get another nest in the box this season.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

They're great little scientists... seems to come naturally to kids :0)

I love his concern for putting the sticks back so the bird can use them again!

Julie