Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Biology Lessons From a Four Year Old


On cows:

Cows eat grass. Then they smoosh it up inside and it squishes into milk.

On "mouses":

I know all about mouses. Cats eat mouses and then they go poop.

On human anatomy:

I need calcium for bones. Without bones I would just be a wiggle.

And, finally, a conversation on reproduction:

"Mom, how do mommies have babies?"

I told the lad that mommies and daddies love each other and make a baby.

"Yes, but how does the baby get in the mommy's tummy?"

I simply reiterated that the mommy and daddy make the baby, and then it grows in the mother's tummy. He's four, that's about all the information he needs (and can understand). Unfortunately, this is Matthew, and not your typical four year old. He needs details.

"Yes, but HOW? How does it get IN there?"

For heaven's sake. I'm driving down the road, and am trying to think of a nonspecific way of telling him the least amount of information possible. I tried to tell him that the baby is teeny-tiny (almost invisible) to start off with, and then begins to grow inside the mommy.

"Yeah, I know it's little. But how does it get IN there? It's not like it just appears!"

This is from the same kid who told me that you can't blow out street lights because they are run with electricity and have a glass cover. He doesn't take to fantasy (or redirection) well. It is raining, and I just want him to stop asking questions. I tell him the daddy gives the mommy a special seed, and that seed grows a baby in the mommy's tummy.

Oh, I am stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Now Matt wants to see the special seed, and he wants to know how a seed can make a baby. Out of ideas (and completely unprepared for this conversation), I shout:

"Look- a flying giraffe!"

Then I turned the radio up so I couldn't hear his comments about giraffes not having wings.

The topic was dropped for a few days, and I thought I was in the clear. Until he saw a rather large family walk by and shouted (at maximum preschooler volume):

"WOW. Their daddy had a LOT of special seeds!"

3 comments:

AliciaD said...

One of the kid's from my sister's 4 year old class that she teaches asked the question about where babies come from. They are not allowed to answer that, but to leave it to their parents, so she simply said "that's a good question, but that's something to ask your mommy or daddy ok?"

She then overheard him musing about it, and he came to the revelation that babies must come from food, because food also goes in our belly. And in his words "like a banana baby, a bread baby..."

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh Leah...

I forget to check this blog, to my loss!

That is hysterical!

You can pull that one out when he's older!

Julie

leah said...

I consider this one my "real" blog, lol. This is the family blog that has our daily lives. I kept Nolan's medical stuff separate (hence the separate blog) because it is really such a small part of our overall lives. I have a lot more fun with this blog!