Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stealthy

Matt is my active child. He's loud, he's honest, and you know exactly what he's up to (even if he's up to no good).

Nolan, on the other hand, is stealthy. The boy can slip away and decimate an entire room without making a sound. He can empty a container of lotion and refill it with bubble solution in less than five minutes, and return to his regular activities by the time I return from the laundry room. The boy has a gift.

Unfortunately, the boy also has a sweet tooth. He can spot a container of sugar from a mile away, and will begin working on his tactical plan to obtain that sugar in silence. Every day, for the past week, I have found the boy doing this:




No matter how well guarded I think the kitchen is, he manages to find the exact five minutes I happen to be occupied to sneak into the kitchen. No matter where I hide the sugar container, he manages to find it. And the lure of the sugar is far greater than any disciplinary measures I've been able to devise.

I have now hidden the sugar in the refrigerator, behind the broccoli. I'm sure I'll forget where I've hidden it by tomorrow morning, when I need it for my coffee.

If you ever meet someone who stores sugar with the broccoli, they might be going insane. Then again, they might have a very stealthy two year old with a stubborn streak. Same difference.

4 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

First the Banana Vampire, and now the Sugar Sneak!

But, Leah... at least he's eating!

leah said...

Yes, oh yes he is! He is eating... and at least the bananas are healthy! He's at the 10th% now- the Nexium made a HUGE difference for him! My kids tend to be "little" anyway, so being in the 10% is just about right for Nolan!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Wow! That's a huge jump!

I think Wyatt is around the 10th percentile too. He fluctuates between the 5th and 10th. It's just his growth curve.

Glad Nolan is doing so well :D

leah said...

I'll be happy if Nolan manages to stay between the 5-10% mark- as long as he is "on" the charts, we'll be happy! He has stalled out on his "vertical" growth, and we're hoping he's just in a plateau phase. He was in the 50% mark for height, and now he's dropped to the 5% mark. For now, just something to watch... at least his height/weight are a bit more proportional now!