Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Orchard

Our local nursery is not going to carry fruit trees anymore. Apparently, they don't sell- people want decorative, non-fruiting varieties. Their current stock of trees was on sale, with prices dramatically reduced.

The idea of having our own little orchard made us rush out and buy the last McIntosh and Braeburn trees on their lot. We planted our trees, and were ecstatic to think about all the pies coming our way in the fall.

Of course, now we know why apple trees don't sell very well. There's a little thing called fireblight that is about as pleasant as it sounds-there are lots of dead, falling leaves on the trees. There is also "rust." And "scab." Those are just the microscopic critters that attack.

We have to wrap the trunks to keep wandering rabbits and woodchucks from biting the trunks. There are the flies swarming that are probably the producers of the feared apple maggot. And then there are the deer, my arch nemeses. Sure, they look cute, in their Bambi-spotted hides. Trust me, they are a lot less cute when one wanders by with a prized Stargazer in her mouth! I am still in mourning over a lost group of Balloon Flower in my garden bed.

Still, we are trying our best to raise healthy apple trees, with the hope of apples in the fall. Unfortunately, something tells me our official "deer-proof fence" is not going to be very effective...

I know I'm not supposed to go in here...

Woo hoo- I made it inside!

Wheee!

If a two year old human child can get into our fenced off orchard, I'm pretty sure the deer will figure it out, too. It's only a matter of time until our beloved trees are deer fodder. But we won't go down without a fight.

Bambi, the war is ON.

No comments: